Research - Our Mission
Last update on: 04/09/2009
Today, there is a cure for up to 75% of children and adolescents diagnosed with cancer. Find the presentation "Paediatric oncology in the course of time" in the material repository .
As a matter of fact, oncology has largely benefited from the remarkable advances achieved both in diagnostics and treatment strategies.
Yet, while the survival rates of cancer in adult patients is about 50 percent, the increase in the 5-year survival rates of childhood cancer of up to 75 percent represents one of the major medical breakthroughs of the past four decades.
The success story of paediatric oncology is attributed to
- national and international networks of paediatric oncological experts
- international cooperations (paediatric oncologists, radiologists, paediatric surgeons, psychologists,…)
- systematic biomedical and clinical research
- Therapy-Optimisation-Studies (TOS)
- modern and innovative methods of diagnosis and treatment
- §§§die Unterstützung durch private Spenden und öffentliche Fördermittel, wie beispielsweise die Rahmenprogramme der Europäischen Kommission
The successful treatments of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) which is the most common form of childhood cancer are the most notable achievements to date.